I took this photo while standing on the edge of a pond on Christmas Day.
I looked out at people standing in the middle of the pond, sliding in their sneakers, wondering how the ice was not cracking under their weight and their heavy movements.
Winter in Boston is unpredictable at best. In a single week, it can be snowing 12 inches and then 60 degrees another day. And as I head into my 20th winter in Boston, I think I have learned a thing or two, finally. I am a firm believer that every day marks a new beginning and that New Year's Resolutions are not any different than resolutions we would want to make every single day that we get out of bed. However, the end and the beginning of the year mark something....A good friend of mine said that he liked lists, so here goes. Top Ten Memorable Moments in 2008 and Top Ten Memorable Moments to Look for in 2009:
1. Bloc turned 1. Happy Birthday.
2. Birth of the blog....(Memorable does not necessarily mean good :)
3. Union Square is under construction. The entire year. Basement floods, every rain storm.
4. Too many break ups, to name.
5. I get suckered into Facebook, Twitter, Wordpress, Typepad, and G-chat.
6. Lots of Music that started with the letter "B": Bon Iver, Beirut, Britney, Beyonce
7. Bloc gets a new floor and outdoor seating.
9. Single Cup Brewing at Bloc.
10. Diesel gets a new menu.
1. Diesel turns 10!!! Look for a celebration event!
2. Bloc 11 finally gets a real, live website up and running. (Thanks to Andy at Truly Good Design)
3. Union Square construction and beautification slated to be finished!!!
4. Egg sandwiches at Diesel.
5. Goodbye Bush. Welcome Obama!
7. The dogwood will bloom again.
8. Spring and then summer will come.
9. Single cup brewing to come to Diesel. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.
10. Greatness that we cannot even imagine.